Kis-My-Ft2 soars to No. 1 on the latest Billboard Japan Hot 100, dated Nov. 11 to 17, with its 25th single, “Edge of Days.” The septet’s latest release sold 171,215 copies to lead the physical sales metric while also coming in at No. 1 for look-ups and Twitter mentions, meaning the eager support from its loyal fanbase fueled the song to the top of the chart.
The lineup of NHK’s annual Kohaku Uta Gassen live music program was announced last week, and songs by those who will appear on the year-end extravaganza have risen on the Japan Hot 100 for the most part. This year’s Kohaku acts in the top 10 this week are: Kis-My-Ft2, Official HIGE DANdism, King Gnu, Arashi, Foorin, and LiSA.
First-time Kohaku act HIGE DAN dominated the slots from No. 2 to No. 4. Figure-wise, downloads for “Pretender” increased from 13,503 units last week to 20,764 this week, and streaming from 5,462,042 streams to 5,749,913. The song ruled the metrics for download, streaming, video views and karaoke this week and returns to No. 2 on the Japan Hot 100.
King Gnu is another breakout act slated to perform on the prestigious program for the first time, and their long-running hit song “Hakujitsu” jumps 10-5 on the tally after downloads increased from 7,581 to 8,744 units and streaming from 3,003,880 to 3,198,900 streams.
Meanwhile, the names of two top-10 mainstays, Kenshi Yonezu and Aimyon, weren’t on the list of Kohaku performers this year, at least for the time being. Total points for the former’s “Uma to Shika” and the latter’s “Marigold” have decreased this week, displaying the massive influence of the historic New Year’s Eve program celebrating its 70th installment this year.
The Billboard Japan Hot 100 combines physical and digital sales, radio airplay, Twitter mentions, YouTube and GYAO! video views, Gracenote look-ups, audio streams from Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, AWA, Google Play Music, KKBOX, LINE MUSIC, Rakuten Music, RecMusic provided by Gfk Japan, dHits, Uta Pass and Spotify, plus karaoke data from Daiichikosho and XING.
Billboard Japan Hot 100 Top 10 (dated Nov. 11 to 17)
1.  Edge of Days / Kis-My-Ft2 (171,215 copies / none / none)
2.  Pretender / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 20,764 downloads / 5,749,913 streams)
3.  Shukumei / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 7,813 downloads / 3,875,268 streams)
4.  Yesterday / Official HIGE DANdism (none / 8,272 downloads / 4,115,289 streams)
5.  Hakujitsu / King Gnu (none / 8,744 downloads / 3,198,900 streams)
6.  Uma to Shika / Kenshi Yonezu (2,206 copies / 19,892 downloads / none)
7.  Marigold / Aimyon (none / 5,762 downloads / 2,497,682 streams)
8.  Turning Up / Arashi (none / 10,475 downloads / 1,885,380 streams)
9.  Paprika / Foorin (3,026 copies / 11,206 downloads / 1,691,326 streams)
10.  Gurenge / LiSA (1,015 copies / 11,044 downloads / 1,993,703 streams)
[ ]: Position last week
( ): Physical sales / downloads / streams (Top 50 only)